Tuesday, September 8, 2009

European Grand Tour Observations

Now that my trip abroad has come to an end, allow me to make a short observation about each country.

ITALY

Italy was a magical place. Although extremely hectic in Rome (less so in Florence and Venice), there is still an easy-going feel as you walk the streets. People traveling on foot (although I cannot say the same for the motorists!) seem to meander down the streets, totally absorbing the environment around them. And of course, they have much to admire! I was blown away by my inability to absorb all the eye candy around me--even the lamp posts are such works of art that it seemed physically impossible to take it all in. I am certain I could live a lifetime there and still see something new to admire every day. Ancient Rome was big on the luxuries of life and being innovative in architecture. Present-day Italy still maintains the love of preserving its ancient structures. Although they might not place such an emphasis on a luxurious lifestyle as their ancestors did, they do place great appreciation on food, perhaps a luxury in and of itself.

FRANCE

France--oh, what can I say! Words are not adequate to describe the sheer delight I experienced in Paris and the surrounding countryside! As much as I loved Italy, I felt very foreign while there. This all changed in France. The minute we stepped onto the Parisian soil, I felt at home. If I were to give one word to sum up France, it would be "civilized". Everything about France was so civilized! The drivers weren't as crazy and impatient, the people were delightfully friendly (don't let anyone tell you otherwise!), and the culture was divine. Paris was a feast for the eyes, and once again I wished I could absorb and imprint every shred of beauty in my mind forever. In addition to the heavenly food, architecture and art, a sense of magical mystery lingers in the air, whisking you away to explore the city. I was devastated when it came time to leave France, because there was an endless array of things I would have loved to have seen. I loved the pride that the French have for their country and for their language, a tradition that has lasted for centuries and will never die. And of course, I loved their exquisite cuisine and culture more than words can adequately convey. Au revoir, Paris!


ENGLAND


Conversely, to Italy and France, I felt no sense of magic in England. I would say that the one word to describe England was "practical". Where Italy and France bask in masquerades and mystery, England prides itself in being matter-of-fact and down-to-earth. It was difficult for me to float off my cloud and land back in England, where life felt more mundane. However, there is something to be said of routine. In England, I became so well acquainted with the South Kensington area, that I could stroll to my one of my favorite places (the Tesco) all by myself without fear of the unknown. The tube also became second-nature to me, and I found myself traveling to Knotting Hill alone without any qualms. We spent much time on the tube and on trains, and I came to love the shake of the trains and the sight of people absorbed in their newspapers as they rode to and from work. What I did adore about England was the beautiful countryside and the stately homes we were able to visit. That is when the magic and mystery of the trip would come seeping back in and I felt like a little girl playing princesses again. England still maintains a love affair with its Royal Family, and visiting those incredible estates made me feel almost royal myself (well, that and my delicious Pasties!).

No comments:

Post a Comment